Firefighters today extinguished a greater-alarm fire at a three-story residence on a steep hillside street in Studio City, but not before the flames caused $600,000 in damage, authorities said today.
The fire at the 3,966-square-foot house in the 3600 block of Potosia Avenue was reported just before midnight Wednesday. No one was home at the time.
Los Angeles Fire Department spokesman Brian Humphrey said 88 firefighters kept the blaze confined to the third floor and attic of the residence, knocking it down in 41 minutes.
He said the fire caused an estimated $500,000 in damage to the structure, mainly the third floor, and $100,000 in damage to its contents.
The fire's likely cause was an electric clothes iron left unattended when the owner left the home earlier in the evening, Humphrey said.
No injuries were reported.
--City News Service